Zaytoun Fair Trade Maftoul Salad Recipe
If you’re looking for a light lunch, impressive starter or side dish, Zaytoun’s maftoul salad is a wonderful, highly nutritious, vegetarian option. Using traditional Palestinian ingredients, this dish will bring a touch of Western Asia to your table top. Can be served warm or cold.
(Serves 4 as a side dish)
250g Zaytoun Organic maftoul (cous cous)
5 tbsp Zaytoun Organic olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 small bunch spring onions, sliced thinly
1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 fresh chilli pepper, sliced thinly
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp Zaytoun za’atar
- Add 1 tbsp salt to 1 litre of water and bring to the boil.
- Toast maftoul in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 4 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add toasted maftoul to the boiling water and let it simmer for 12 minutes.
- At the same time add 250ml hot water to the raisins and simmer in a pot for 10 minutes. Allow to cool then drain.
- Sauté onions in 1 tbsp of olive oil, and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the maftoul, raisins, both kinds of onions, parsley, chilli, za’atar, lemon juice, and 2 tbsp olive oil and mix, seasoning with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.