Healthy, Fair Trade, Mexican Pasta with Avocado Recipe
If you’ve drawn a blank when it comes to fresh and exciting meal time ideas, we’re here to help. This low calorie, mildly spiced, fair trade recipe is sure to be well-received at any dinner table. Serves two.
100g Fairtrade penne or fusilli
1 tsp Organic extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 pepper, deseeded and sliced
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp cumin seeds
400g can chopped tomatoes
100g kidney beans
1 avocado, stone removed and sliced
½ lime, zest and juice
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Cook the penne or fusilli for 10-12 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the extra virgin oil in a pan, and fry the sliced onion and pepper until golden.
- Stir the garlic and spices into the mixture, then tip in the canned tomatoes and kidney beans. Cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Drain the al dente pasta and add into the sauce with the coriander.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sliced avocado with lime juice and zest.
- Spoon the pasta into bowls, top with the avocado and finish with scattered coriander leaves.