Fair Trade Cheese, Tomato and Chilli Tart
If you're looking for a simple supper or light lunch, this fair trade cheese, tomato and chilli tart is a great place to start. Using Hot Chilli Pesto from Meru Herbs in Kenya, this recipe can be spiced up or down depending on your individual taste.
What You'll Need:
Ready made shortcrust pastry (18cm)
50g grated cheddar
4 small tomatoes, halved
Meru Herbs Hot Chilli Pesto
150g creme fraiche
2 medium eggs, locally sourced if possible
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6 or 180 degrees.
- Line a 18 cm loose bottomed tart tin with the pastry.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of Hot Chilli Pesto over the base.
- Whisk together the creme fraiche and egg with a little salt and pepper.
- Place cheese in the pastry case, cover with the egg mixture and top with halved tomatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.
- Serve hot or cold with a green salad.
Remember, the Chilli Pesto is hot! Please use less or more to suit your individual taste.