Traidcraft is the UK’s leading fair trade organisation. Our mission is to fight poverty through trade, practising and promoting approaches to trade that help poor people in developing countries transform their lives.
Traidcraft's unique structure - a trading company and a development charity working together - gives us a distinctive perspective on how trade can be made to work for the poor.
Established in 1979 as a Christian response to poverty, we build long-term relationships with producers, support people to trade out of poverty and work to bring about trade justice.
Find out more about Traidcraft’s work at www.traidcraft.co.uk .
Fair trade seeks to transform the lives of poor producers in the developing world by enabling them to use their skills and resources to trade their way out of poverty.
It seeks to challenge injustices in trading structures and practices that so often lead to the exploitation and marginalisation of poor people.
More than fourteen years ago Traidcraft helped establish the Fairtrade Mark, which guarantees:
- A fair price which covers the cost of sustainable production
- An extra premium to invest in community projects
- Defined standards for the health, and social and economic welfare, of producers
- Defined standards for the protection of the environment
But we didn’t stop there.
With the help of our thousands of supporters and customers Traidcraft goes the extra mile by:
- Choosing to work with poor and small-scale producer groups
- Working in partnership with our producers, committing to long-term relationships and engaging in regular contact
- Investing in the development of producers to help them build professional, sustainable businesses
- Offering the widest range of fair trade products in the UK
- Pioneering innovations in fair trade
- Lobbying governments to advance the cause of trade justice
- Tackling issues faced by people who are disadvantaged by unfair trade agreements
- Demonstrating ethical business practices and challenging others to do the same.
Many of Traidcraft’s food and cotton products have the Fairtrade logo on their packaging. The Fairtrade Mark is a registered certification label for products sourced from producers in developing countries. The logo is licensed by the Fairtrade Foundation, of which Traidcraft is a founder member.
The Fairtrade Mark is only available on certain products which have internationally-agreed Fairtrade standards. Most products carrying the Fairtrade Mark are food or cotton.
Traidcraft has its own purchasing policy to ensure that we operate under rigorous fair trade criteria, even if the Mark is not yet available or where we are supporting producers to move towards certification.
Our cards and envelopes are produced from certified FSC material. This ensures paper comes from responsible sources, helping to protect the world's forests.
FSC is an international, non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting responsible management of the world’s forests. It was founded in 1993 in response to public concern about deforestation and demand for a trustworthy wood-labelling scheme. More than 125 million hectares of forest are now certified to FSC standards around the world. FSC UK is a registered charity. It is supported by NGOs including WWF, Greenpeace and the Woodland Trust. © Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
To find out more please visit www.fsc-uk.org